St.Luke's is the northern district of a large town, which itself is located on a former G.W.R. main-
The line was built as in independent railway, but taken over in time by the G.W.R. -
Back at the main station in the town, the Southern Railway made a connection from the South, using it's own bay platform to terminate passenger trains, but through goods trains and the odd through passenger train made use of the line through St.Luke's.
Following Nationalisation in 1948, the line is now in the hands of the Western Region -
During WW2 the route played a major part in the North-
Some people may see a similarity to the situation at Reading, but it could just as easily be a place in Wiltshire or North Somerset, or perhaps even Gloucestershire. The name and true geographic location of the main town remains, however, a bit hazy.
One of the key features of St.Luke's is the engine shed, which supplies the motive power requirements of the town's train services. This is mainly linked to shunting and local goods / passenger services, but the odd "big" locomotive can be found on shed sometimes, awaiting it's return trip train.
There is also the canal basin, which was a major transport interchange hub years ago -
Local goods traffic hangs on for now, but increased road transport competition, here as all over the country, is slowly killing it off. Within a very few years only passenger trains, exclusively in the hands of DMUs, will have any business for St.Luke's. The line was very fortunate to escape the Beeching axe!
The engine shed will be demolished in the late 1960's and the goods yard will fall into decay, although a local road transport company will make use of the goods shed. By the mid -
The canal warehouses will become desirable waterside apartments for the young but upwardly mobile set -
|Empire Road layout|
|N O & OO Gauge|